Hi reader!
This is my first real blog post on this page. How exciting! I started a blog a few years ago and loved it. I then started a very big, new job, and my blogging completely fell off. Now, I’m bringing back my digital journal with a totally clean slate.
So… Let’s talk “going viral” and what this segment on my blog will be about.
I have been a “content creator” since I had access to the internet. The first time I started up Microsoft PowerPoint, I knew I wanted to play on the computer for a long, long time. I got into craft-making Pinterest at 12, Tumblr blogging at 14, Instagram/VSCO curation at 16, and then video posting on TikTok at 19. I have since “gone viral” on every single one of those platforms by 25.
Algorithms being what they may, I love to look back on what I post and see what made that content have such an impact. So, enter this series. Here, I will unpack my greatest hits and why I think they did well.
To start, I wanted to highlight a recent favorite multi-platform viral moment of mine.
My bed.
For a very long time, I did not want to spend a lot of time or money on my home. As my frontal lobe developed, my distance from my childhood grew, and my income increased, I abandoned my abandonment of spending money on my home. For my astrology girls, I’m a Cancer sun and moon and a Taurus Venus. Trust, I NEEDED to change that mindset.
Moving into my current apartment had me thinking “wow I really need to find out what World Market is and why people like it so much”.
My place is great in so many ways. It just has one major flaw: it’s a white box.
My bedding before my move was also entirely white. I’d like to say that’s because I wanted to feel like I was in a hotel, but it was literally the most basic girl option for a bed. Once I moved, I immediately had to change something. I wanted to bring color and comfort into my home instead of mock living Kim K in a sterile space.
I love fall colors, jewel tones, and deep warmth. I have a strong vintage style. I like feeling cozy but also being creative and girly in my space. A few months before I moved, I had bought a red wood vanity and it was the center piece that would rule my current bedroom direction. It felt femme and vintage. It felt so me. I also had never had a vanity and always wanted one.
I had my something old. I just needed a whole lot of my something new.
Bedding was the first must. My favorite color is a wine red, so I got a maroon duvet. How groundbreaking lol. I got lighter pink sheets that matched well and it all went nicely with my previously owned green throw pillows.
I had seen wall fans a few times on Pinterest so I quickly bought one as well. It was a vibrant green and also not incredibly heavy (I have a deep fear of putting any shelving or heavy things above my bed because what if it fall on my head in the dead of night). It went great with the pillows.
I added more and more details as time passed. A cheetah print throw pillow here. A vintage Tiffany floor lamp here. And of course, I documented it all.
This is where the viral moments come into play.
I posted a bit of my early makeover moments on Instagram stories, Pinterest, and TikTok. It did well but not anything that made me reflect. Once everything had come together, I posted Pinterest and TikTok content on the same day in similar ways with respect to the platform. It did well immediately.
I tweaked it more and more and revisited the concept a month or so later. I posted similar things on both TikTok and Pinterest and, once again, viral. Usually, my TikTok outranks my other social media platforms. This time, Pinterest went off and oh how exciting a shift.
When you go viral on Pinterest, it’s much more content focused than user focused. You don’t get a crazy follower increase or overflowing comment section like a short form video content platform. Pinterest as a search engine is where I put a decent portion of blame for my bedroom virality.
Shortly after I bought my wall fan, several other people in the world bought a wall fan. Being so chronically online in search of home put me on a wall fan wave ahead of many others. When they searched it themselves weeks or months later, they found me. They found how I incorporated it.
My bedding color scheme also gained popularity for being out of the norm and aesthetically pleasing according to my TikTok comment section. I gained an odd amount of fans of a Josephine Baker poster from a beloved old roommate of mine. I appreciated that accent too but in a much more sentimental way.
So what does this all mean and what did we learn?
People go to Pinterest more so than other platforms for inspiration. To search and save what they want to recreate. I fulfilled that with what I created. I reflected a current bedroom trend with my wall fan. I had a bedding color combo that was new enough to stand out but not too niche to not be liked by others. People are growing sick of boring bland and gray scale homes. Gen Z wants to attach itself to something different than millennials and my bedding is FAR from millennial gray or clean girl white.
There’s also much to be said about the rise of recreating past aesthetics. Trends like Tuscan mom or coconut girl find their way into people’s feeds because they want to feel connected to the sincerity of the past. What’s more homey than nostalgia? My bedding and aesthetic match a current trending 90s/2000s trend known as black nouveau. Although I did not intentionally match this aesthetic, I digested so much of it in media and inadvertently incorporated it into my home.
My media professors would love me to talk about the influencer pyramid right now, but I will spare you.
I am glad my bedroom is appreciated, but I have been having weird oh that’s my room moments while scrolling on TikTok. I have seen far too many bedroom makeover or DIY wall fan creation posts that include my photos as inspiration.
I contributed whether purposely or not to what will eventually be known as the wall fan trend of 2026. It’s a little odd to have personal spaces be consumed by the public in the way I have subjected myself to. Thinking back to the Josephine Baker poster an old friend gave me, I don’t have a link to where I bought that item. It’s incredibly personal and sentimental to me, but, to the average social media consumer outside of my personal circle, it is just a poster. But then again, I have a wall fan I ordered online that has no personal sentiment to me. I simply like how it looks. I think everyone’s room is a bit of a combination of it all.
And on that note, I should wrap this blog post up now and go to bed. Thanks for reading and get ready for much, much more. Goodbye for now!

No comments:
Post a Comment